Monday, March 23, 2009

Map of Knowledge


Greetings on this Monday after the start of spring!  I could tell it was spring before the calendar even notified me because my tulips and my hyacinth began blooming.  They reside in a south facing flower bed so benefit from more sun than less, thus blooming earlier than everything else.  Woe is me when they inevitably get covered in snow!

Website update:  we continue to work on the backend.  We look at the carousels and decide how to manage the items, adding and deleting.  We are almost finished with the Locations & Hours pages getting them in shape with all of the features needed.  Getting started with the Jobs function and getting that in shape.  Continue to move forward on the My Account feature - what all does this comprise when you click on it?

Today's post besides spring and website work provides a look into something nifty called the Map of Knowledge.  The Los Alamos National Lab scientists mapped how researchers moved from one journal to another in their electronic data searches, creating associations between them.  Adding color coding by topic, it shows the probability that the reader will click to another journal.  

I got to thinking about whether this kind of map would apply on our website.  Would there be some probability that I would go from historical fiction to fiction to mystery fiction?  Is there any benefit to anyone else knowing this thought pattern?  I'm not sure there is.....  When I look at my goodreads account it is starting to contain a wide range of titles, including picture books that I like.  Who ~ necessarily ~ wants to follow my reading patterns from fiction to picture books?   Maybe it would be really cool to follow some really good readers advisors as they move from author to author or topic to topic.  Any thoughts ?

No comments: