Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Portal No More

Our website is a portal - an entryway to the world wide web where we have chosen quality websites and organized them into categories, much like taking books and putting them on the shelves in a orderly fashion.

Search engines are so good in finding information that the need for us to organize websites is being reexamined as we continue our work in website redesign.

The current thought is to normalize websites as content and try to incorporate them into places where you would normally be searching. For instance, if I were looking for information on xeriscape I would see my results in the catalog with all of the library materials available to me. Wouldn't it be gravy if I could see some great websites in the same search result? Call it "one stop shopping!" Is this something you would like to see?

The other thought running parallel is to create subject guides in relevant topics for which we purchase content, such as the databases. So if I'm a potential business owner who is seeking business plans, then a subject guide called Business Plans that leads me to books, websites, and databases would be ideal to start my search. If there are such topics that you feel could use some attention toward becoming a subject guide, then let me know.

2 comments:

DeWayne D said...

Would be nice if there were a way to get back to the home page from here.

ALD said...

Dewayne,
Thx for the tip! I have now included links to our three sites: the adult, the childrens and the teen site for easier access back. Hope this works.